As I promised in an earlier post here’s a simple game in order to train your eye to see if your composition is right:
- First of all you need a piece of cardboard (21 x 15 cm / 8 x 6 inch).
- Divide it into 4 equal parts.
- Additionally cut out at least 4 different shapes in various sizes and if possible colors.
- Try placing them on the cardboard in any order you can think of (you can also change the number) and try to portion the empty space the way I showed you to do.
- As a variation you can make many more papers, divide each in 4 different parts, lay the figures down and draw only their outlines. Now you can lift them up and get a better overview of the overall arrangement between empty space and occupied space as the different shapes now appear as one single shape vs. the background.
In my opinion it’s a more fun way to start dealing with the topic and it really can help you get an eye for this sort of things. You should definitely try it out and see for yourself 🙂
Oh, and here’s a quick pic on how my first “compo-game” looked like: